The University Library was one of the basic infrastructures established along with the University of Maiduguri in 1975 to enhance the objectives of its parent institution. It was initially housed in the former anatomy library of the college of medical sciences of the university before it was moved , at the end of 1977/1978 session into a two flour building inherited from the NECAS. the building itself was named Ramat Library in honour of the late Head of State and Commander -in- Chief of the ARmed forces of Nigeria, Gen. Murtala Ramat Mohammed, who was killed on february 13, 1976 in an abortive coup.
The key staff of NECAS Library including the college Librarian Mr. N.O Ita who later became the founding University Librarian from 1976-1977 as well as its collection of nineteen thousand volumes of books and five hundred periodicals formed the nucleus of the university library. Presently, the libraries holdings include over two hundred and ninety six thousand nine hundred (296,968) volumes of books and five hundred periodical titles.
The E-library was officially declared opened on 26th of February, 2013 by the Pro-Chancellor and the chairman of the council in the person of Dr. Bolanle Babalakin SAN. in company of the university librarian, council members, principal officers of the university and witnesses by the entire staff members of the library.
The E-library is an online library that stores content digitally (as opposed to print, micro-forms or other media) and is accesible via internet. the e-library retrieves comprehensive yet accurate information that is 100% secure and virus free, delivering it instantly at the click of the mouse across the intranet. this efficient and interactive software platform, boast the most up-to-date information on every subject that is quickly retrievable by keying in some elementary fields in the search options. this eliminate the enumerable hours spent crawling search engines which more often than not spews out contradicting and unreliable information while restricting unnecessary internet access, which is difficult to control/monitor.
The basic objectives of the Ramat Library are to:
- provide materials in support of the learning process; that is, materials for students' course work, assigned reading as well as background for essays, term papers and projects.
- provide materials to meet the requirements of Faculty specialists, postgraduate students and researchers,
- provide materials to assist the library user in his own personal self-development,
- cooperate with other university libraries with a view to developing a network of academic library resources that are at the disposal of all students and teaching faculties and
- meet the specialized information needs of the community within which the University is situated.