LIST OF LIBRARY DATABASES
A username and password is necessary for the following databases.
Please ask at the Information Desk in the E-Library Division for a list of usernames and passwords.
A collection comprising of the following databases: eBook Academic Collection (Over 118,000 ebooks), Academic Search Complete (Is the world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals), Audiobook Collection (Search audiobooks, listen to samples, and download your selection), GreenFILE (Offers well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment).
•ScienceDirect : is Elsevier’s leading information solution for researchers, teachers, students, health care professionals and information professionals. It combines authoritative, full-text scientific, technical and health publications with smart, intuitive functionality so that you can stay informed in your field, and can work more effectively and efficiently. Find articles from over 2,500 journals and more than 33,000 book titles on ScienceDirect.
AGORA is an initiative to provide free access to major scientific journals in agriculture and related biological, environmental and social sciences to public institution in developing countries. AGORA provides access to 766 journals.
The Access to Research Initiative (HINARI) provides online access to the major journals in biomedical and related social sciences in developing countries.
•National Virtual Library of Nigeria
This is an online digital library managed by the National Universities Commission (NUC). The goal is to ensure that users (subscribers) have the latest publications of the highest calibre in their respective fields .
JSTOR online resources offers users full text issues of core journals in the humanities, social sciences and sciences. It is basically made up of content on back issues
Hosts over 2,990 peer reviewed titles owned and published by over 340 prestigious publishing houses and scholarly sovietise. Research is provided in a wide range of disciplines, including Biology; Biotechnology, Genetics & Genetically Modified Species; Botany & Plant Biodiversity; Climatology, Climate Change & Meteorology; Ecology & Wildlife Conservation; Energy Conservation & Renewable Energy
More than 84,000 e-Books, Ebrary provides content products, which include handbooks, e-books, manuals, reports and other authoritative documents. You are bound to find loads of e-books.
Project MUSE is a unique collaboration between libraries and publishers, providing 100% full-text, affordable and user-friendly online access to a comprehensive selection of prestigious humanities and social sciences journals.
•Westlaw UK (International and UK)
Westlaw UK has collaborated with the best in the legal business, working flexibly to ensure that users have an unbeatable library of legal information – accessible any time, anywhere.
HeinOnline is a premiere online product with more than 100 million pages of legal history available in an online, fully-searchable, image-based format. HeinOnline bridges the gap in legal history by providing comprehensive coverage from inception of more than 2,000 law and law-related periodicals.
LawPavilion is a leading legal IT Research Tools provider whose existence serves to help Lawyers, Judges and Law firms make the most of their legal practice through the provision of cutting edge IT Solutions for the Legal Industry.
A digital library of thousands of copy-and-paste, already done for you legal materials and resources with over 12,000 Case Summaries, thousands of Ratios and Google-type search engine. A Username and Password is required !
•Emerald Insight (New Resource)
Emerald is a global publisher linking research and practice to the benefit of society. Emerald manages a wide range of digital products, a portfolio of nearly 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 450 teaching cases.
ACM provides the computing field's premier Digital Library and serves its members and the computing profession with leading-edge publications, conferences, and career resources.
•World Bank e-Library
The World Bank eLibrary is the World Bank’s subscription-based collection of nearly 8,000 books, reports, journals, and working papers
Offers access to a carefully maintained and easily searchable database of reviews, abstract and bibliographic information on mathematical sciences literature.
Annual Reviews publishes authoritative analytic reviews in 37 focused disciplines within the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences.
EconBiz aims to establish a central gateway for a broad range of economic information and to give direct access to full text documents. It a search engine including important German and international databases for economics and business studies, and also a calendar of events in economics and business studies
•African Journals Online (AJOL)
AJOL is a database of African-published journals, publishing in a range of Academic disciplines. The objective of AJOL is to give greater visibility to the participating journals, and to the research they convey.
This database consists of the African Plant Initiative, The African Cultural Heritage Sites and Landscapes, and The Struggles for Freedom in South Africa.
BioOne is an internet-based collection of electronic journals in the biological, ecological and environmental science, many of whom are published by Members of the American Institute of Biological Science.
•DATAD--Database of African Theses and Dissertations
DATAD helps to improve management and access to African scholarly work and allows searching through their database of theses and dissertations.
•Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
The largest dictionary of any language in the world, it charts the meaning and evolution of over 6000,000 words over the last 1500 years.
•Oxford Reference Online
The multi-award winning Oxford Reference Online includes the full text of over 130 well-known and trusted dictionaries and reference books from across the subject spectrum from the humanities to computing.
•The American Physical Society Journals
A collection of journals related to the subject Physics.
(Global Economy Monitor Portal): The Global Economic Monitor (GEM) provides daily updates of global economic developments, with coverage of developing as well as high-income economies. Daily data updates are provided for exchange rates, equity markets, interest rates, stripped bond spreads, commodity prices and emerging market.
•World Bank Publications
The World Bank eLibrary, Documents and Reports, The Complete World Development Report (WDR) Online, WDR 2013 for iPad, and World Bank eAtlases.
These databases are not accessible online, You must visit the e-library unit to use this.
Please visit the Information Desk in the E-Library Division to access the following databases
- eGranary Digital Library Cataloguing
LIBRARY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
OPEN ACCESS DATABASES
A username and password is not necessary for the following databases.
Please ask at the Information Desk in the E-Library Division for assistance when needed
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations: OATD.org aims to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world. Metadata (information about the theses) comes from over 1000 colleges, universities, and research institutions. OATD currently indexes 2,973,503 theses and dissertations.
- SAGE: The SAGE Premier Journals Collection contains leading international peer-reviewed journals in a wide range of subject areas, including business, humanities, social science, and science, technology and medicine. The 2016 Collection counts 824 titles.
- Directory of Open Access Books: The Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) is a discovery service for peer reviewed books published under an open access licence. DOAB provides a searchable index to the information about these books, with links to the full texts of the publications at the publisher's website or repository.
- Bentham Open : Publishes a number of peer-reviewed open access journals. These free-to-view online journals cover all major disciplines of science, technology, medicine and social sciences.
- The Journal of Research Practice: The Journal of Research Practice (JRP) is a quality-conscious peer-reviewed journal, published online by Athabasca University Press (AU Press), Canada, in the open-access mode. The journal relies on sponsorship rather than charging authors or readers to meet its cost of operations.
- EDX : “…EdX currently offers HarvardX, MITx and BerkeleyX classes online for free. Beginning in fall 2013, edX will offer WellesleyX , GeorgetownX and the University of Texas System classes online for free…”
- The Woman Stats Project : The WomanStats Project is the most comprehensive compilation of information on the status of women in the world. The Project facilitates understanding the linkage between the situation of women and the security of nation-states."
- Genocide Studies and Prevention : An International Journal provides a much-needed forum for discussion, as it fosters awareness of the atrocities linked to genocide while promoting the necessity of prevention.
- Strategies for Online Teaching : Online teaching is increasingly common at many types of higher education institutions, ranging from hybrid courses that offer a combination of in-person and online instruction, to fully online experiences and distance learning. The following resources provide guidelines for creating an online course, best practices for teaching online, and strategies for assessing the quality of online education."
- Medline Plus : It is "an authoritative free website where the public can find health information in more that 40 languages"
- The NTS Library : An " Online Christian Library of virtual Theological Resources: a leading worldwide Christian Internet Community Learning Resources" that provides free Christian PDF books and over 20,000 articles, chapters and illustrations.
FREE E-BOOKS SITES
A username and password is not necessary for the following ebook website.
Please ask at the Information Desk in the E-Library Division for assistance when needed
American Institute of Mathematics website where you can download free Mathematics e-books. Their aim is to advance mathematical knowledge through collaboration, to broaden participation in the mathematical endeavor, and to increase the awareness of the contributions of the mathematical sciences to society.
This is a portal that claims to have over 2,400,000 downloadable e-books (PDFs). It has a keyword search engine plus a broad subject category listing. Search listings are limited to 100 titles so precise keyword searches should be used. Due to the size of the full-text books, downloading can be time consuming especially if there is limited bandwidth.
Bookboon.com is the world’s largest publisher of online educational literature. We provide free textbooks for university students, premium eBooks for business professionals and learning solutions for companies.
Connexions is a dynamic digital educational ecosystem consisting of an educational content repository and a content management system optimized for the delivery of educational content. It provides free access to more than 17,000 learning objects or modules in its repository and over 1000 collections (textbooks, journal articles, etc.) are used by over 2 million people per month. Its content services the educational needs of learners of all ages, in nearly every discipline, from math and science to history and English to psychology and sociology. Materials are easily downloadable to almost any mobile device for use anywhere, anytime.
FreeBooks4Doctors was created to promote the free availability of medical books on the Internet. It provides access to over 360 books sorted by topic, FB4D Impact, language and year.
Freebookcentre.net contains links to thousands of free online technical books. Which Include core computer science, networking, programming languages, Systems Programming books, Linux books and many more.This portal focuses primarily on academic material. It has a keyword search tool and also a list of broad subject categories
InTech is a pioneer and world's largest multidisciplinary open access publisher of books covering the fields of Science, Technology, Medicine, Engineering, Health Sciences, Life Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities. Since 2004, InTech has collaborated with 87550 authors and published 2442 books and 6 journals with the aim of providing free online access to research. With +47 million book chapters and journal articles downloads up to date.
Free Information Technology books for downloading.
Living Books About Life is a series of curated, open access books about life -- with life understood both philosophically and biologically -- which provide a bridge between the humanities and the sciences. Produced by a globally-distributed network of writers and editors, the books in the series repackage existing open access science research by clustering it around selected topics whose unifying theme is life: e.g., air, agriculture, bioethics, cosmetic surgery, electronic waste, energy, neurology and pharmacology.
The Academy grants free and downloadable access to all the PDFs of their e-book publications. Individuals must register for this feature (free). The initial screen has a key-word search engine plus links to broad categories including Agriculture, Biology and Life Sciences, Energy and Energy Conservation, Food and Nutrition and Health and Medicine. Each category has a sub-topic list.
Bookshelf provides free online access to books and documents in life science and healthcare. Search, read, and discover. Access is via keyword search or Browse Titles or New Releases. In the keyword search tool, other access options (limits) include Subjects, Types and Publishers. Search results contain the PDFs of books, collections, databases, documentations and reports.
Open Access Textbooks: A FIPSE grant project ...creating a model for open textbook implementation
Open textbooks are real, complete textbooks licensed so teachers and students can freely use, adapt, and distribute the material. Open textbooks can be downloaded for no cost, or printed inexpensively.
The Oxfam website provides free easy access to over 3000 development and humanitarian policy, training, and research publications from Oxfam and its partners worldwide
Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free eBooks choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online